Friday, August 30, 2013

Never give up - Never give in... Always try - Determination

Here is the amazing story of my twins – guided by faith, prayed for and loved, saved by blessings and the never bending HOPE we have that miracles can happen… At 4 weeks old we found out we were expecting. The numbers did not “double” as they should and we were told that the pregnancy may not work but to keep hoping… we prayed for good results for over 10 days. Although the numbers never doubled as they should have….. we found 2 Heartbeats at 6 weeks old. At 8 weeks there was some scary stuff going on with bleeding and a chance they may not make it still… and we had a blessing. Our Twins grew to 12 weeks and were perfect. At 13 weeks we were told that everything was going great but we had what was called MO/DI twins and that sharing a placenta could cause them to have something called TTTS (twin to twin syndrome) and that the pregnancy would be closely monitored and risky. We continued to be monitored but each week grew hope that they were tiny but going to be just fine… our baby girls were named. Bryn Harper and Wren Harlow At 20 weeks we were told that things were not going well.. that one of the girls was not going to make it and that as a family we would have to decide to let our little baby b go. We were also told that likely they had several issues with their heart and body and might have down syndrome. We didn’t give in. we got a second option. At 21 weeks we got a second option with even worse news. Our baby B Bryn would have to be let go in order save Baby A Wren. And we were told that even if we did that baby Wren only had a 33% chance of making it. Likely both our girls would pass and the best option was to terminate the pregnancy and start over. We were devastated but didn’t give up on them…. We went to the best place in the world for this type of Twin care…. Off to San Francisco’s UCSF to speak directly to one of two surgeons in the US that could possibly help At 22 weeks we completed intensive testing at UCSF and it was discovered that none of the previous diagnosis were correct. That our girls shared an artery inside the placenta and that artery was strong and would carry them. They told us that if we had made the decision to let Bryn go Wren would have also died because they shared this care together… They gave us HOPE. To do nothing… and keep going. They told us the hearts were strong and the girls would be early and tiny but here. NO guarantee’s we were put on weekly watch. From 22-34 weeks we went to the Dr sometimes 3x a week for checking… for growth for them to say “Today is the day we have to deliver them early… That day has not yet come. Our girls are in the home stretch … all from a blessing.. all from Love.. all from hope. I am beyond questions.. I am full of love and determination to make it another week or two … Tears of joy stream down my face at the power of prayer.. the power of people and how so many can really make a difference.

1 comment:

Hannah said...

So glad to hear all the good news! I've been stalking - trying to see how everyone is doing.

At this rate, you will have your girls a week before my son!

Hannah
www.daleandhannah.com