Thursday, November 4, 2010

Kidney Issues

Another complication.. has happened... Common in boys... but not helping my worry and level of anxiety at all... Little Jon has Hydronephrosis. Basically his kidney are swollen and have too much fluid in them. Lots of terrible terms were tossed around today during the ultrasound and it was just plain not fun. So of course with this news they also increase the chances for downs and other issues. My head is spinning. I feel like I just can't get away from my own self. Terrifying thoughts in my mind that just won't shut up...

I fight these thoughts and when I calm enough from the freak out here is what I know.

1 - very common in boys and sometimes resolves itself before birth
2 - some forms can be treated with surgery while the baby is still inside me! (Dr did not think this was my case but was not ruling it out either)
3 - Some babies have this at birth and it can be fixed with a stint (to unblock)
or some other very small procedures...
4 - some babies have major surgery after birth reconstructing the Kidney and bladder.

We were told today that his issue is a "little more prominent" than most cases and it is likely that something will need to be done right after birth. We are going to be refereed to a Peri urologist after our next ultrasound...

Oh SHIT. That is all I can think of right now. OH SHIT and WHAT IF. And now I wait for 2 more weeks before we can re-assess this issue.

Joseph can you hear mommy? Please watch out for your little brother.. help him.. if you can. you are powerful and I love you so much that I know that this is something you can do. My heart to you mommy

Little Jon are you listening? Pee... that is what I need you to do - release those kidney and grow bigger so that the blockage can have room to move out. You can do it little one.. I believe in you. I love you so.. Stay baby Stay... Mom

8 comments:

My life said...

Thinking of you and praying for you and little Jon. My heart breaks for you and that you have to go through this.

((hugs))

lis said...

oh brandy this is not what i wanted to see. but i have faith that your little boy will be okay. he will be more than okay...he will be perfect.
honey im right there with you.
xoxo
lis

Ashley said...

NO! I say NO! This can't be happening. (that is what I want to say)
But what I should say is-
Brandy, fight this fight, and we will all fight with you. This is your time, and you and Jon can see it through. More prayers than ever for a strong boy and a strong mama to see him through this. I love you!

Ashley said...

I just read this website http://www.cornellurology.com/pediatrics/prenatal.shtml and it gave me a lot of hope for Jon that this is going to be not a big deal...possibly even misdiagnosed. If anyone deserves a miracle it's you, so that's what I'm praying for. Complete misdiagnosis.

Lisette said...

Oh no.... this can't be happening to you. I am so sorry this was added to your plate. I will continue to keep you and lil Jon in my prayers ((HUGS)).

Monica said...

hi! you don't know me but I have been following your blog for some time.. I stumbled upon it from someone else's last year and I have checked in from time to time.. I am amazed at all you have been thru and I am thrilled to hear about your little Jon!! I wanted to tell you that my little guy was also diagnosed with Hydronephrosis when I was pregnant and he is fine!!!! I actually delivered him in Korea since we were stationed overseas at the time and the Dr. there said that in all his years he has always seen it resolve after birth and for me to not worry! he was right.. he just had ultrasounds every 6 months and each time it has gotten smaller so no need for any treatment!! I wanted to let you know that so hopefully you can relax and Jon's kidneys will do the same... it is very common in boys and our MD said since we do so many ultrasounds now we are finding so many intricate things that we never did years ago and people were fine! hope this gives you some relief and best of luck!!!

Salma said...

Brandy, love and hugs to you and little Jon. Like Ashley I am praying it's a misdiagnosis. I hope and pray that in 2 weeks you will get better news.

Anonymous said...

Just found your blog through onceamother...all 3 of my babies were diagnosed with this at 18 to 20 weeks. They were rechecked at 28 to 30 weeks and were absolutely fine. They did some further tests on my first after he was born, but there was never any issue. I never knew until my third that it was a "soft" marker for down syndrome. So scary when you hear that. Praying that all will turn out wonderfully for you and baby!