Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Do you have Kids...

Do you have any kids seems to be the question a lot of people ask me. I get it almost daily. I am not sure why people ask me this question so much or if I am just overly sensitive to the situation right now... Do I look like I have kids with me? Do you see any in the car with me or riding in a stroller that I'm NOT pushing? I have vowed never to ask anyone again if they have any children because you just never know how painful that is. I want to scream at them YES I have one... a son. Then I think about it and I can't really say that because then they will ask me.. How old is he? I will have to say he should be 2 months old right now but he died. There is no way I can do that to the person asking the question. I know because I've answered that question so many times recently and each time something different comes out.... The intention is to start a conversation not to make the person asking feel bad and sad. Inevitably what happens is we both feel bad after I've answered it. I have figured out that what I need to do is be prepared for all the questions I'm going to get asked. So.... I've decided my official answer is going to be... Yes, I have one... a son who is in heaven. I will try not to be surprised by this question any more and I will insure that I include the part about being in heaven as to not give any pretense that he should be with me right now. I don't like this question and I really don't like what my answer is because I shouldn't have to have a repaired answer for it I simply should have my son.

Joseph can you hear mommy? Hi sweet child of mine... I love you, Mommy.

1 comment:

Kimberly Shedd said...

I hate the question too Brandy. We have joined a couples group not by seeking it out, sort of by accident, and they all have living children and so naturally their first question is "how old are your kids" ....sigh, I start with a deep breath and then figure out what I am going to say. I hope you guys had a great Christmas. We are looking forward to bowling after the new year!!!